Debbie in front of the local shoe store
The crab artwork created by local artists and businesses
displayed throughout the town
A Beautiful Harbor It's pretty obvious how Belhaven got its name: the translation is "beautiful harbor." Rich with old forests and clear streams, it was originally called Jack's Neck in the late 19th century when it was a farming and fishing village. The first house in the area was built in 1868 on the site where the River Forest Manor now stands. The structure was used chiefly as a hunting and fishing camp, which is why so many people have come to Belhaven over the years. In 1899, lumber and railroad baron John A. Wilkinson constructed a Victorian mansion here, home now to the River Forest Manor, which still draws visiting yachtsmen. The hurricanes of the late 1990s brought flooding to the town, so many Belhaven houses had their foundation walls raised in hopes of avoiding another disaster.
A newly constructed home
A Beautiful Sunset in Belhaven